Tencent started it open-sources internally and began to adopt a much more open strategy after the well-known and controversial “3Q War” in 2010. Our developments in technologies have since then incorporate more considerations on how they can be better re-used, shared and eventually open-sourced. At the end of 2016, Tencent has significantly accelreated its pace to open-source its own projects, with the help from many initiators and contributors.
As of June 2018, Tencent had officailly opened source 56 projects in various domains including WeChat, Tencent Cloud, gamings, AI, security and many more. These projects have received more than 140,000 stars in total and attracted attention from developers around the world.
- Tinker：A hot-fix solution library for Android, it supports dex, library and resources update without reinstall apk.
- Angel：A Flexible and Powerful Parameter Server for large-scale machine learning
- WeUI：A UI library by WeChat official design team, includes the most useful widgets/modules in mobile web applications.
- VasSonic：A lightweight and high-performance Hybrid framework developed by Tencent VAS team.
- Tars：A highly performance rpc framework based on naming service using tars protocol and provides a semi-automatic operation platform.
Tencent Cloud TStack is a cloud platform with outstanding technical capabilities and massive adoption. It provides integrated cloud service solutions for IaaS, PaaS and SaaS and convenient cloud management. It had helped a variety of governments and enterprises build their own stable and secure cloud environments and ecosystems.
BlueKing is an cloud operation and maintenance platform. It was built to support the devops of more than a hundred of Tencent’s games and products for various industries. Based on BlueKing, Tencent worked with China Academy of Information and Communications Technology to release the first comprehensive cloud computing operation solution in China. BlueKing had gradually become the industry standard since then.
As the No.1 app in China (in terms of DAUs), WeChat has accumulated advanced technologies in every field of mobile development. WeChat Open Source series incorporate more than 22 projects for front-end and back-end development, powering WeChat Open Platform developers with standardized and easy-to-use frameworks and tools.
Tencent’s Contribution to Open-Source Community
Many of Tencent’s teams are contributing to open source projects such as Openstack, KVM, docker, NVDIMM, ceph, HBase, Hadoop, linux, Spark, kubernetes, torrent, dht, goprocinfo, flannel, netlink and more. Our software engineers are members and maintainers of these projects and communities and their contributions are recognized worldwide.
- Become a Platinum Member of the OpenStack Foundation and won the 2017 Global OpenStack Superuser Award;
- Become a Platinum Member and a board member of the Linux Deep Learning Foundation;
- Become a Linux Foundation Gold Member (and to be upgraded to Platinum Member soon); strengthened the foundation for the in-depth cooperation between Tencent and Linux Foundation
- As CNCF Gold Member, contributed to major open source projects such as container services and KVM virtualization;
- Joined MariaDB community and shared with technologies we developed through Tencent Cloud Database (CDB) and Tencent Game (DBA) for many years;
- As a Silver Member of Linux Foundation Networking (LFN), participated in the planning, development and maintenance of LFN projects.
Some of our contributions during last year include: a new docker project maintainer, a new ceph project maintainer, a new NVDIMM virtualized maintainer, 44 patches to HBase, 35 patches to docker, 31 patches to Hadoop, 17 patches to ceph, 13 patches to Spark and 9 patches to kubernetes.